2.1.Course objectives The basic objectives of the course are acquiring knowledge of biological mechanisms of effects of different types of training on health, in primary and secondary prevention of the most common chronic cardiovascular diseases, health indicators, health recommendations for training, possible health risks associated with fitness training, indications for limitations and modifications in training, characteristics of nutrition that should accompany diffeernt training programmes in fitness and nutritional supplements.
2.2.Course enrolment requirements and entry competences required for the course Completed: Functional Anatomy, Basic Kinesiological Transformations, Physiology of Sport and Exercise, Biological kinanthropology, Physical Activity and Health.
2.3.Learning outcomes at the level of the programme to which the course contributes Preparation of an effective plan and programme of health-related exercise for healthy persons.
Preparation of an effective and safe (risk-free) plan and programme of exercise for persons with a disease.
Evaluation of effects of exercise on health.
2.4.Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course (4 to 10 learning outcomes)
Student will be able to:
- understand biological mechanisms of effects of different types of training on health, in primary and secondary prevention of the most common chronic cardiovascular diseases,
- understand health recommendations and risks associated with different types of fitness training,
- assure requirements for safe and risk-free training programme,
- understand principles of nutrition and guidelines for modification of nutrition according to the type, duration, intensity, and frequency of fitness trainings,
- develop a critical standpoint on usage of ergogenic aids, supplements,
- apply methods of assessment of energy expenditure during training, assessment of optimal body weight by methods of body composition assessment,
- evaluate effects of conducted fitness training programmes,
- collaborate with experts from the field of nutritionism and biomedicine.
2.5.Course content broken down in detail by weekly class schedule (syllabus)
Lectures and seminars
1.Relationship of cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness and health status indicators. (1L)
2.Mechanisms of effects of aerobic training on body weight regulation, arterial hypertension, glucose tolerance. (1L)
3.Health effects of strength and muscular endurance training on recently highlighted risk factors in development of atherosclerosis. (1L)
4.Older age - physiological age and health effects of aerobic training, strength and muscular endurance training in older aged persons. (1L+2S)
5.Effects of aerobic training and strength and muscular endurance training on increase of plasma levels of HDL-cholesterol. (1L)
6.Effects of aerobic training and strength and muscular endurance training on lowering of increased plasma triglyceride levels. (1L)
7.Indications for limiting load in fitness training. (1L+1S)
8.Possible cardiovascular complications associated with exercise load. (1L+1S)
9.Assessment of energy expenditure during training, assessment of optimal body weight by methods of body composition assessment. (1L+2S)
10.Evaluation and methods of assessment of effects of health-related fitness programmes. (1L+2S)
11.Energy needs in fitness training - carbohydrates, proteins, and fats need. (1L+1S)
12.Vitamins and minerals, fluid replacement. (1L+1S)
13.Size, type, and time of a meal. (1L+1S)
14.Ergogenic aids: hormone, pharmacological. (1L+2S)
15.Ergogenic aids: physiological and nutritional - supplements. (1L+2S)
- , Mišigoj-Duraković, M. (1999) Tjelesno vježbanje i zdravlje. Zagreb: Grafos - Kineziološki fakultet., , , .
- , Mišigoj-Duraković, M. (2012) Tjelesno vježbanje i zdravlje (2. izdanje - u pripremi). Zagreb: Kineziološki fakultet., , , .
- , Mišigoj-Duraković, M. (2003). Osnove prehrane u športu. u: Športska medicina. ur. Pećina, M. i sur., Zagreb: Medicinska naklada, 35-37., , , .
- , .Mišigoj-Duraković, M. (2003). Značaj tjelesne aktivnosti i sporta za zdravlje. u: Interna medicina, ur. Vrhovac, B. i sur., 3. obnovljeno izdanje. Zagreb: Naprijed, 12-14., , , .
- , Krznarić, Ž., Mišigoj-Duraković, M., Milutinović, S. (2008). Način života i zdravlje. u: Interna medicina. ur. Vrhovac, D. i sur. Zagreb: Medicinska biblioteka, Naklada Ljevak, 9-16., , , .
- , Bouchard, C., Blair, S. i Haskell, W. L. (2007). Physical activity and health. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics., , , .
- , Ehrman, J. K. i sur. (2010). ACSMs resource manual for guidelines for exercise and testing prescription (6. izdanje). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins., , , .
- , Jeukendrup, A., Gleeson, M. (2010). Sports Nutrition - an introduction to energy production and performance. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics., , , .