* Load is given in academic hour (1 academic hour = 45 minutes)
2.1.Course objectives The primary objective is to empower the students to understand management of sports organizations. Also, the next objective is the acquisition of specific knowledge from the area of planning and designing entrepreneurial programmes in sport industry.
2.2.Course enrolment requirements and entry competences required for the course No enrolment requirements.
2.3.Learning outcomes at the level of the programme to which the course contributes
The students will be empowered to implement their knowledge and comprehension of the concepts, principles, and theories from the area of management and entrepreneurship in the sports organizations. Also, they will be able to identify and analyze options for the implementation of entrepreneurial programmes in sport industry and in the area of sports.
2.4.Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course (4 to 10 learning outcomes)
The students will be qualified to:
-comprehend and analyze resource exploitation in sports organizations;
-comprehend the system of organization of the social segment of sports;
-comprehend the sport facilities management system;
-comprehend the role of management in sport and sports organizations;
-design and analyze entrepreneurial programmes from the area of sports.
2.5.Course content broken down in detail by weekly class schedule (syllabus)
Lectures (2 contact hours are allocated to each topic)
1. CERTAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF SPORT AS A BUSINESS ACTIVITY. The development of sport as a business. Organizational management. The role of the state in sport management.
2. THE ORGANIZATION OF SPORTS FIELD OF ACTIVITY. The organizational structure of the field of sport. Types of organizations. Lineal system of organizing in sport.
3. SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS. The concept and legal status of sports organizations. Sports organizations: the Croatian Olympic Committee, the national sport federations, sports associations, sports clubs, sports companies, other sports organizations.
4. THE ORGANIZATION OF SPORT AT THE LEVEL OF THE WORLD AND EUROPE. The organizational system of sport. The main international sports federations.
5. THE ROLE OF MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS. The concept, tasks and functions of management in sports organizations. Management levels. Functions of managers, types of managers in sport.
6. FUNCTIONS OF THE MANAGEMENT IN SPORT. The concept and types of planning. Problem solving. Decision making.
7. FUNCTIONS OF THE MANAGEMENT IN SPORT. The concept of organizing. The creation of jobs. Delegating. Management of changes.
8. FUNCTIONS OF THE MANAGEMENT IN SPORT. The concept of leadership. Leadership styles. Characteristics of leaders. Contingency model of leadership.
9. FUNCTIONS OF THE MANAGEMENT IN SPORT. The concept and types of control. Quality in sports organizations.
10. ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOUR IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS. Types of organizations. Groups and team management. Communication. Organizational culture.
11. MANAGERS IN SPORT. Leadership styles of managers in sports organizations. The role of managers and entrepreneurs in sports organizations.
12. HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT IN SPORT. The concepts of professionals and volunteers in sport. Functions and matrices of human resources management in sport. Motivation. The system of awards. Performance evaluation.
13. STRATEGY AND ANALYSIS OF CONTEXT IN SPORT. The concepts of strategy, vision, mission. The analysis of the internal and external contexts.
14. MANAGEMENT OF SPORTS EVENTS. The concept and characteristics of sports events. Logistics of the event. The event financing. The effects of the event. The event management.
15. THE FUTURE OF SPORTS BUSINESS ACTIVITIES. The future prognosis and prediction. Oncoming trends and challenges.
Seminars (2 contact hours are allocated to each topic, except for the topic number 1; it is delivered in one contact hour)
1.Introduction to the seminar classes.
2.Examples of sports organizations and their structure.
3.The analysis of the internal context of sports organizations.
4.The analysis of the external context of sports organizations.
5.The implementation of the functions of management in sport.
6.The implementation of the functions of management in sport.
7.The specific nature of the manager in sport.
8.Examples of sports events management.
- Bartoluci, M., Škorić, S. (2009). Menadžment u sportu. Zagreb: Odjel za izobrazbu trenera Društvenog veleučilišta u Zagrebu, Kineziološki fakultet.
- Beech, J., Chadwick, S. (2010). Sportski menadžment (prijevod knjige The Business of Sport Management). Zagreb: MATE.
- Lussier, R. N., Kimball, D. C. (2009). Applied Sport Management Skills. Champaign: Human Kinetics.
- Covell, D., Walker, S., Siciliano, J., Hess, P.W. (2003). Managing Sports Organizations: Responsibility for Performance. Mason: South-Wester.
Basics of Organization and Management