The aim of this subject is to present to the students the methodology of economic effects of sport evaluation as well as the methodology of creating entrepreneurial programmes in sport. The students should acquire certain knowledge of economics and management in sport and discover options for implementing those programmes in the field of sport.
2.2.Course enrolment requirements and entry competences required for the course
No enrolment requirements.
2.3.Learning outcomes at the level of the programme to which the course contributes
To apply knowledge and understand the concepts, principles and theoretical background in the field of economics, management and entrepreneurship in sport.
To identify and analyse diverse options for implementing business programmes in the field of sport..
2.4.Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course (4 to 10 learning outcomes)
Students will be able to:
-understand and identify possible economic effects of sport;
-understand and analyse the use of resources in sport organisations;
-understand the role of management in sport and sport organisations;
-analyse entrepreneurial programmes in the field of sport.
2.5.Course content broken down in detail by weekly class schedule (syllabus)
Lectures (2 contact hours are allocated to each topic):
1. Introduction to the economics of sport. Introduction to economics of sport: subjects, aim, tasks of economics of sport, contents and methods of research. Relationship between economics of sport and other economic disciplines.
2. Economics of sport as a scientific educational discipline
Economics of sport as an educational discipline. The place and role of the economics of sport in economic structure of economic and social activities. Relationship between the economics of sport and other non-economic disciplines, especially kinesiology.
3. Evaluation of social effects of sport. Fundamentals of sport. Organisation of sport in a system of social activities: place and role of sport in the system of economics and social activities.
4. Sport as a public good. The term public good. Sport as a public good.
5. Sport financing. Ways and sources of financing in sports. Economic processes in sport: sport as an economic activity, economic functions of sport.
6. Economics of resource utilization in sport activities. The term, types and roles of resources in sport.
7. Assets of sport organisations. The term asset. Types and characteristics of assets in sport organisations.
8. Sport facilities. Economics of constructing, maintenance and utilization of sport facilities. Characteristics of sport facilities and equipment, economic basis of building facilities, depreciation of sport facilities and equipment, maintenance and functioning of facilities and equipment, economics of facility and equipment utilization.
9. Labour economics in sport. Labour as an input in business process. Characteristics of labour in sport. Wages in sport. Some characteristics of labour force in the Croatian sport.
10. Cost management in sport. Types of costs in business process. Costs and the level of capacity utilization.
11. Calculation and distribution in sport organisations. The basics of calculation and distribution. Calculation and distribution in sport organisations.
12. Evaluation of economic effects in sport. Economic effects of sport. Programmes of sport as the basis for economic evaluation.
13. Management. Introduction to management. Development and the functions of management. The relationship between management and entrepreneurship.
14. Management of sport. Organisation of sport according to the areas of activity, structure and number of sports associations. The development and the functions of management of sport. Managers in sport.
15. Organisation of sport in the world and Europe. The system of sport organisation. International sport associations.
16. Strategic management. The characteristics of strategic management. The application of strategic management activities in sport organisations.
17. Entrepreneurship. The term entrepreneurship. The development of entrepreneurship. Characteristics of entrepreneurship. The role of entrepreneurship in economic development.
18. Entrepreneurship in sport. The term and development of entrepreneurship in sport. The fundamnetals of entrepreneurship in sport. The possibilities of entrepreneurship in the Croatian sport.
19. Methods of evaluating the economic efficacy of investment and entrepreneurial programmes in sport. Methods of entrepreneurial programmes evaluation in sport. Methodological basis of creating and implementing entrepreneurial programmes in sport and complementary activities. Economic evaluation of different sport-related programmes: soccer, basketball, handball, swimming and water polo, tennis, golf, sport in tourism, fitness-related programmes, etc.
20. Marketing. The term marketing. Characteristics of social marketing. The basic concepts of marketing.
21. Marketing management in sport. Theoretical foundations of sport marketing: principles, goals and functions of marketing. Marketing mix in sport: sport products, prices of sport products, distribution of sport products, and promotional activities in sport.
22. The application of marketing principles in sport. The application of marketing principles in sport. The planning of sport marketing.
23. Sponsorship in sport. The term and characteristics of sponsorship in sport. The rights of sponsors and the sponsored.
Exercises (2 contact hours are allocated to each topic):
1. Introduction to the economics of sport. Sport as an economic process. The Sports Act. Sport activities. Persons engaged in the sport system.
2. Distribution in sport organisations. Characteristics of sport organisations as the non-profit subjects. Defining the terms income and expenditure. The sources of income and expenditure in sport organisations. Financial statements.
3. Depreciation of long-term assets
Assets used in organisations. Asset utilization. The term and calculation of the depreciation.
4. Capacity and price calculation. The term capacity. Calculating capacity. The term price. Methods for calculating price.
5. Business efficiency indicators. Productivity. Economical quality. Profitability. Liquidity.
6. Entrepreneurship in sport. Examples of the development of entrepreneurial programmes in sport.
7. Managers in sport. The term manager. The role of managers in sport. The term leadership in sport. Characteristics of managers and leaders in sport.
- 1.Bartoluci, M. (2003). Ekonomika i menadžment sporta. II. prošireno i izmijenjeno izdanje (udžbenik). Zagreb: Informator.
- 2.Bartoluci, M., Škorić, S. (2009). Menadžment u sportu. Zagreb: Odjel za izobrazbu trenera Društvenog veleučilišta u Zagrebu, Kineziološki fakultet.
- 1.Downward, P., Dawson, A., Dejonghe, T. (2009). Sport Economics: Theory, Evidence and Policy. (e-knjiga) Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann-Elsevier.
- 2.Beech, J., Chadwick, S. (ur.) (2010). Sportski menadžment.. (prijevod) Zagreb: MATE d.o.o.